[Edu-sig] Visual Programming in Python?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 19:01:24 CEST 2006

> An interesting exercise might be translating some parts of Computer
> Science Logo Style (http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/logo.html) into
> Python, to get a feel for how much of a text like that is related to the
> language, and how much to the environment.
>

> --
> Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  /  http://blog.ianbicking.org

One thing that was new was Alan Kay, representing Seymour Papert's
views to the best of his ability, suggested that Seymour no longer
regards "suppressing the receiver" as an important feature, meaning
he's paving the way for explicity mention of the turtle as a message
receiver, e.g. via Python notation:

So this isn't Logo, but it's probably where we're headed with the turtle stuff:

t1 = Turtle()
t1.forward(10)

I can imagine a big commercial company contributing a colorful
professional grade edition to the education community, via GNU or
whatever.  Making the syntax consistently Pythonic would be an
attractive feature (implement bindings for both Python *and*
traditional Logo why not?).