[Edu-sig] The end is near :)

Tue Apr 11 20:19:35 CEST 2006

   I was reluctant to say anything because I find Arthur has an
interesting viewpoint, which I will miss.  I suspect part of the
issue is that he subscribes to this as an e-mail list, while I
read it as a newsgroup on gmane.  If I am correct, it looks more
like a mix of messages in his day-to-day e-mail, and he doesn't
really see how dominant his posts are.

   He has sent private mail explaining that he has un-subscribed.
One idea I had some time ago is using Python for visualizations.
In particular, I once built an iterator-based visualization of DB
query processing (based on old collaborative work with my erstwhile
office-mate Bennet Vance) that makes it visually obvious that query
processing re-arrangements produce dramatically different query
processing speeds.  It was a Tkinter-based thing, and if enough CS
teachers (let's say, two) are interested, I'll go dredge up the code
(which involves dissecting a dead laptop) and prep it for reading.
The delay should be a week or so.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org