[Edu-sig] quantum instance

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Sep 15 16:31:45 CEST 2005

> I think what I am trying to communicate is the fact that folks like me are
> not really interested in being:
>
> "taught how to program"
>
> Though we are anxious to be taught how to
>
> "program"
>
> What could be clearer?
>
> Art

I think you've made it clear that you don't like to have a lot of
unmotivated mechanics thrown at you because "CS says you need them".

Unless you've seen the use cases, and are directly motivated by them, you're
not one to sit at the feet of CSers and just take their word for it.

I like and support your "question authority" attitude.  I think it's right
for you to *not* take anything on faith alone.  And CS shouldn't require you
to.  It's not that kind of discipline.

You:

"""
That being said, I think in this particular thread about properties, the use
cases were there from the beginning.  What you came to after that was that
it comes down to judgments and possible differences therein:

We end up, as Laura says (I think), only able to make judgment calls as to
what is and what is not appropriate as to what to expose and what not to
expose, depending on what we are trying to accomplish.

Judgment calls are to me a-theoretical.

I think I understand the basic theory - and reserve to the right to do
little more than take it under advisement.
"""
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2005-August/005110.html

I have no problem with any of the above.