[Edu-sig] quantum instance

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Sep 14 15:34:35 CEST 2005

What are you saying here?

ball.color='red' is what is readable.

Why is the color attribute of the sphere anything other than a normal Python
attribute initialized by a keyword argument, with some default? It is set
and retrieved.  No magic.

Are you suggesting that since normal attribute mechanics use __getattr__ and
__setattr__ under the hood, my issue with the use cases of properties are
somehow an issue with Python's entire attribute mechanism.

If so you have indeed joined the debate, as such ;)

If vpython has some implementation specific reason to need to send an e-mail
to Mary when I change the color attribute, I may in fact have a preference
for the use of __setattr__  directly, as more expressive of the fact that we
are under the hood a bit - but that admittedly can get ugly and the truth is
I would probably myself opt for the convenience of property, maybe going the
whole nine yards and using the further convenience of its decorator form.

If I were sending an e-mail to Mary.

Art

"I didn't get a harrumph out of that guy"
                   Mayor, Blazing Saddles