[Edu-sig] Python as Application

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Oct 26 15:21:40 CEST 2005

I appreciate Excel in one respect.  You recognize when a project exceeds
Excel's capabilities, and have a "next step".  Most folks - in the real
business world (at least in the world of midsize and small business), don't.
I am quite convinced I can go into 90% of the businesses out there, and
improve processes, efficiencies, and organizational dynamics by analyzing
how Excel is being used, and replace it with more appropriate technology.
That's in fact largely how I make my living.

I don't see many matters "matters of principle" in terms of technology
selection in the business environment.  But am part of the problem in some
respect by, so far, sticking with "name brand" technologies.

I know Python decently, and databases decently - but oddly have not done
much database work, with Python.

I would be quite interested in hearing about your path from Excel to
relational database with Python.  Can you describe your toolset more
completely.