[Edu-sig] Python as Application

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Oct 26 00:26:21 CEST 2005

Arthur wrote:

>Relevant, as I realize that my approach to learning Python has been
>closer to learning a software application than the traditional approach
>to learning to program and learning a programming language.

Relevant autobiographical note is the fact that what has me focusing on
this distinction is a recent conversation with my son wherein he told me
how much he is enjoying a class that has him digging into learning Excel.

And I cannot help posting a cry into cyberspace on this point.

My son is learning something about using a spreadsheet  - extremely
useful and I support it 100%.  That he thinks what he is learning is
Excel is absolutely unforgivable, in terms of my understanding of
ethical norms that once prevailed in an institute of higher education.

We understand how derivative Excel is of others' important work.

He apparently never will - unless I intercede.

The institution I am supporting by tuition and the taxpayer is
subsidizing, is collaborating with a mega-corporation's branding
strategies.  For no good reason.

We understand that all the functionality he will ever need from Excel is
available for free in other spreadsheet software.

He apparently never will - unless I intercede.

Do I care that he is using Excel rather than an open source alternative.
Not really.

Do I care that he is within an institution that has lost its bearings on
fundamental matters of academic ethics.

Immensely.

Do I care that I am made to feel that this point of view is somehow
radical on a educational forum that is an offshoot of an open source
software community.

It scares me, frankly.

ARt