[Edu-sig] Python as a first language for computer scientist

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Oct 20 20:32:05 CEST 2005

> Right.  And, be sure, I believe this technique is only a good idea if it
> makes a lot of other code much easier to read.  I understand such code
> is usually trickier than useful, but sometimes (and hypertoons was one
> of those times) you can _greatly_ simplify a lot of code by having a
> single small harder-to-understand section replace a larger structure
> of "boilerplate."  My aesthetic is that the code you write should all
> "mean" something, and you should get "itchy" when you start a round
> of cut-paste-edit.
>

> --Scott David Daniels
> Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org

Yes, I thought your use of decorators in hypertoons24.py was pretty cool and
wrote it up as such.[1]

I've seen similar techniques in one of the new Python frameworks I was
reading about, but don't recall the name.  But studying your code was my
entry point -- gave me new insights about the power of functional
programming (I think of decorators as a nudge in that direction, given their
job is to feed functions to other functions).

Kirby

[1] http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html (link to Hypertoons! PDF in
Python section).