[Edu-sig] Low Enrollments.

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Oct 18 02:43:06 CEST 2005

> From: Kirby Urner [mailto:urnerk at qwest.net]
> To: 'Arthur'; edu-sig at python.org
> Subject: RE: [Edu-sig] Low Enrollments.

> In microcosm, I suppose I'm not that different from Microsoft (I'm just a
> lot smaller).  I want to survive in a business that interests me.  So that
> brings me to a philosophical question:  what's wrong with that?

Why do I have to explain to a Fullerite the difference between a human being
and a Corporate Giant?

Microsoft is beyond a certain kind of criticism, in that acting so as to
maximize profits is not only within their mission statement, it is their
fiduciary responsibility.

> I don't see my goal as in principle unethical.  It's what teachers have
> always wanted:  to teach, to have brilliant students who make a difference
> in the world, and to receive food and shelter while doing some honest
> work.

Food and shelter is good.

Seeking that, and acting in concert as an organization with the mission of
maximizing profits are apples and oranges motivating factors and can only
and necessarily lead to apple and orange approaches and decisions.

You can try to collaborate with Microsoft, but I can't see the basis to
believe it will be a workable collaboration.

I would hate to see them using you the way they would tend to, point to  a
small scale pilot project for its PR effect and to justify more dubious
claims and assertions.

Microsoft is well past the food and shelter stage of things, and for them to
collaborate with you they would have to be doing so in a context with an
ultimate goal of profit maximization. Otherwise they are not acting within
the terms of their charter and mission statement.  And nobody is accusing
them of that.

It might be in your own self-interest to not look too deeply into the fuller
agenda motivating any support you might get from them, or think too deeply
about it.

Up to you.