[Edu-sig] Uniform Access Principle confusion

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Fri Oct 14 06:46:56 CEST 2005

> Its simple and obvious -  once it's simple and obvious.
>
> Downsides, warnings?
>
> Art

So far we're looking at pretty straightforward composition of objects (less
an inheritance pattern), i.e. angle objects composed in a triangle.

However, it could easily needlessly complexify, the bane of good style.
Keeping it simple is actually harder than giving in to tempting
clevernesses.

There's nothing here yet to stop an uninitiated user from trying to start a
new triangle with radian inputs.  I should post a guard, or at least better
document the API (perhaps using __doc__ strings).

Also, AAA (angle-angle-angle) isn't usually considered a sufficient
criterion for congruence (in topology it might), as no edge size has been
specified (i.e. only similarity has been established).

So the above Triangle class more defines an equivalence class than a
template for any one triangle.  That may lead to confusion down the road.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  When it comes to finding
weaknesses, that's generally a drawn-out process.

Thanks for asking though -- you helped me get thoughtful.