[Edu-sig] Low Enrollments

Chuck Allison chuck at freshsources.com
Thu Oct 13 06:01:31 CEST 2005

Hello David,

This makes so much sense it's scary. Except I don't know how to
explain myself. I was a deprived city-slicker who did not know how to
work. College woke me up. But to be brutally honest, I didn't have
anything else to do but go to college, and I had no other area of
strength besides mathematics, so that's where I started. Not typical,
I suppose. But I totally agree - the work ethic is diminishing. But if
we can "wake some up" like I was awakened, we can grab a few good
ones, no?

Now that you mention it, we took special pains to teach our children
to work (without a farm - they had to earn what they got). My son is
now a stellar Ph.D. candidate in M.E. at U. of Mich. My daughter is a
devoted mother of two and a culinary artist. Food for thought (sic).

As an interesting data point, most of our students are older and/or
married and/or working, so we're doing okay there. It's getting them
into the program in the first place that's the problem. But I'm sure
that across the country many bail because of the work issue. Good
insight.

--
Best regards,
 Chuck