[Edu-sig] Microsoft's KPL

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Oct 8 21:25:44 CEST 2005

I recently read Paul Graham's "Hackers and Painters"  - which was not the
book I was expecting it to be.  It was more a book about business, and
organization to do business - and less a book about programming. He talks
unabashedly from his own frame of reference (good approach ;))- which
happens to be the frame of reference of a talented programmer looking to use
his talent to put himself beyond the clutches of financial insecurity.

He had much to say relevant to a few strains of this discussion (small
business vs. large, affiliation vs., non-affiliation, etc.).

But as much as I enjoy (and employ) the "personal frame of reference
approach", the book is also a frustrating read on that account.

Kind of like it's a 3 step approach:

1) Become a world class programmer..

Thanks.

Not too surprising I lost some focus when it came to the discussion of
points 2 and 3.

;)