[Edu-sig] question about livewires package. . .

Mon Nov 21 03:16:08 CET 2005

Kirby Urner wrote:

> Speculation on my part.  On target?

Sounds right, but I really haven't investigated beyond learning how to
get back to the point where I can experiment with TkInter interactively.
There is so much more learning possible with the immediate feedback,
that it is worth (to me) the increased fragility and irreproducibility.

When using idle in "normal" (separate process) mode, I leave one idle
session open for a week at a time (shutting down w/ standby).  With "-n"
I wind up restarting Idle every couple of hours for one reason or
another.  The big place this hurts is when my software goes insane, and
I can no longer cut and paste before restarting (in fact I lose all
display capability for the windows).  So I have to try to remember what
broke things.  As a result, I have two shortcuts on my desktop: one for
"normal" Idle, and one for "in-process" ("-n") Idle.

VPython seems to have done OK with keeping interactivity, I really
should look into how they do it.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org