[Edu-sig] Knuth's books.

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Nov 6 15:38:37 CET 2005

I certainly think the reference to Knuth, directed to me, is right on point
in a number of respects.  Besides being a mathematician, I would say his
body of work meets my own perceived needs as a student - looking for the
best resources to help me learn how to *program*, not those more relevant to
learning "how to program" (sorry I can't think of a better way of saying
that).

And certainly I would have loved to have had his books in hand to browse at
my book store visit, and certainly if I found them (as I would have
expected) they *would* have been browsed.

I have been waiting for an effort at Knuth to meet one further criteria of
the Naïve Programmer - solving a problem I actually have.

And it happens I have recently concluded that is exactly where I am.  Having
a short term goal of exploring Kleinian Groups, in code - ala the ideas (and
wonderful graphics) presented in the book Indra's Pearl

http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~pnorbury/colloquium/series.html

My early efforts have led me to the conclusion that the understanding of
algorithmic ideas that are necessary to get there (and that would be part of
a CS curriculum) will remain beyond my reach without some more formal study
of the area.

What will probably not be realistic is the whole nine yards of Knuth - as
much as I suspect I would appreciate that effort if there were not
constraints on the time I can give to this.

But some Knuth seems definitely to be destined for me in the near future.
Because I not only want to get at Kleinian Groups in code, I am sufficiently
obsessed with the idea of doing so.