[Edu-sig] Low Enrollments - programming as anti-intellectualism

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sat Nov 5 01:22:22 CET 2005

> Kirby, do you not see any irony between your two comments in this
> thread? One of the goals of liberal education is to produce
> well-rounded, deeply human individuals. One of the "bright ideas of
> competence" academics have is that students should be able to express
> themselves elequently, persuasively, and publicly. In my view, we (as a
> society) need more of this sort of whole education, with it's attendant
> mazes of pre-reqs and "extraneous" requirements. All the technical
> certification programs in the world will never produce a good presenter,
> let alone a truly educated citizen.
>
> --John

I share your goals about providing people with mind-broadening as well as
skill-building opportunities.

I just don't think the existing Ivory Tower infrastructure is working fast
enough or effectively enough to spread the wealth and could use some fierce
competition (from different brand names in academia if you want to look at
it that way).

No college or university, however gothic-looking or ivy-covered, has an
inherent right to advertise themselves as *the only* source of beautiful
minds.  Nor does any collection of schools have that logical right, short of
all of them (Universe = University).

The idea of "schooling" (propagating culture) is too important to be left to
any exclusive subset, perhaps overspecialized within its specific economic
niche.

And what this subset *hasn't* become too complacent and will prove adaptable
in the face of change?  Well then, it has nothing to worry about.  Let the
chips fall where they may etc.

In any age, I think a percentage of academics participate in it's recreation
from within.  Like MIT's decision to put so much prime material on line
(like this 500MB lecture I'm still downloading -- just now finished) -- a
lot of schools wouldn't have been that generous, would be more into
hoarding, less into just getting it out there.

I'm into just getting it out there.  I count on the best efforts of many in
academia to help me do that.  I'm also into working with local mom and pop
shops like Free Geek (Oso et al).  They're not offering degrees, but they do
know some kung fu (as geeks sometimes call it).  Kids like to hang out there
(some are future CS professors).