[Edu-sig] Lisping

Chuck Allison chuck at freshsources.com
Thu May 26 19:23:48 CEST 2005

Hello Arthur,

FWIW, being a fairly old hacker (started with FORTRAN in the 70s, then
learned PL/I, APL, C, Lisp, C++, Java, Python, ML, Prolog -- probably
missed a few), I'd like to make what I'm sure is an oft-repeated
comment: Python is awesome! I see it as an ideal entry point to
programming, but it is also very rich and incredibly powerful for most
any task. I have been studying in depth "Python in a Nutshell",
"Practical Python", and "Learning Python", and have decided that I
could use Python as the key language in a senior-level analysis of
programming languages course at the college. Even though I've used
Python casually for over 3 years, going to the next level has been a
real eye-opener. Knowing Lisp was very helpful, but I can easily see
how going the other way would work just dandy.

A> Got through the first few chapters of "Practical Common Lisp".

A> Whether I end up liking Lisp remains to be seen, but I have seen enough
A> already to begin to appreciate Lisp.

A> And have more confidence that my instincts where sensible - taking this
A> detour as a way of getting to the next stage as a Python programmer.

A> And the experience, so far, also reinforces my instincts about Python - as a
A> learning language. With little other than some Python under my belt, I can
A> make my way through the Lisp presentation feeling prepared and competent.

A> So in my case, Python has been foundation for exploring first Java - and
A> getting far enough into it that I felt I understood its fundamentals, and
A> that I could become competent in it should I choose (and chose not to) -
A> and now Lisp.

A> I would think that the fact that Python has provided a foundation that could
A> take me in each of these directions says a lot its utility as a learning
A> language.

A> I just wish, as always, we could disassociate "learning language" from the
A> notion of "easy".  I wouldn't expect an effort that provides the foundation
A> for learning of approaches to programming as diverse as Java and Lisp to be
A> easy.  My sense is that in some important senses learning Java is easier
A> than learning Python.  But at the end of it I also suspect that one is a
A> Java programmer - and little else. Which is why it is not a particularly
A> good learning language.

A> Art

Best regards,
 Chuck