[Edu-sig] K-16 CS/math hybrid

Chuck Allison chuck at freshsources.com
Tue May 10 17:23:33 CEST 2005

Hello Arthur,

Tuesday, May 10, 2005, 6:47:24 AM, you wrote:

A> If in talking about programming and children we can only be realistically
A> talking about a small subset, we cannot really be talking about Python as it
A> is.

A> Isn't talking about Python as it is more on-topic.  This isn't a list about
A> a subset of Python, after all.

I don't think so. The way we humans learn incrementally, I think we
all learn a subset first. Besides, practically no one knows everything
- we all live in a subset. This is especially true of C++, for
example. When we teach, we naturally start small and expand the
"subset" according to the sequence we feel is most "natural". This is
an important key to teaching and learning. Hence, we are always
learning. We can be very productive knowing a subset of anything, but
we do well if we continue learning. If only perfect programmers were
allowed to program, nothing would ever get done (and there would be no
programmers).

--
Best regards,
 Chuck