[Edu-sig] K-16 CS/math hybrid

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue May 10 04:04:32 CEST 2005

Bottom line, I hear from the "Python community" when confronted with some
aspect of Python that allows one more freedom to shoot oneself in the foot
that than do many other languages that, of course, Python has been designed
for "consenting adults".

With the concurrent thread that it is easy enough for children.

Let's talk psychiatry.

My father was a poor boy who did well enough to give me some of the
advantages he did not have himself.  The net result of the configuration - I
realized at some point in retrospect - was that his sacrifices for my good,
put him in a position to take credit for my successes. And the fun of
working toward a success that someone else would own? Net result. Didn't.
Until I mature enough to have the issue sort of fade away of its own accord.

Worked out fine.  I had the goings on of the 60's to distract me in the
meantime.

If Python was not around, I would have learned programming by making my
peace with some other programming language. No question

I did not find Python easy to learn. And guess who I give credit to for
having learned it to the extent that I have.

Guido?

Nope.

> > *My* answer is "please don't", but please do go away and please don't
> come
> > back.
> >
> > But I am a hard ass.
> >
> > And others seem to think there are better ways to respond.
>
> Depends on what the real question is, I think.
>
> What I hear a lot is:
> "what useful stuff can I do with this and how much do I have to learn in
> order to do that?" - which is a very different question but can sound
> very similar, often because it's phrased as: "Why do I want to learn
> this?" or "what's it good for?" Unfortunately the answer this question
> often gets is: "If you don't know already, go away."

Define "useful". Yes, I do think if that question is being asked, its pretty
much game over.

Approaching programming in any near serious way is sitting at a restaurant
with no prices on the menu.  And if you have to ask...