[Edu-sig] K-16 CS/math hybrid

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue May 10 02:07:05 CEST 2005

> From: edu-sig-bounces+ajsiegel=optonline.net at python.org [mailto:edu-sig-
> Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] K-16 CS/math hybrid

> > Part of my hysteria here - for those who have been long-timers to the
> > list and therefore to my hysterias - has been in sensing some effort
> > on the part of the Python community as positioning Python as the
> > tool to take the rigor out of a programming curricula.
>
> I don't sense this, especially given Alex Martelli's influence (I wonder
> how
> he's liking the new job at Google BTW).  And Guido is a very clear
> thinker,
> meaning the level of metacognition behind Python's design is quite high.
> Tim Peters.  What's to worry?

I know I'm probably being oversensitive, but it sounds to me like you are
sending me off to the psychiatrist - again.

Perhaps my perception is that the metacogators have overreached, at times.
Their rigor never being in question.  The question left open - more than I
thought reasonable - being the extent to which their rigor would obviate my
need for my own.

The issue is inherent in the circumstances.  If programming is so powerful
- why can't the folks really good at it make it so it isn't so damn hard to
learn. Can't they whip something up that makes it easy. It they can't -  how
powerful is the practice - really.  And if it ain't powerful in this way,
why would I waste my time on it.

*My* answer is "please don't", but please do go away and please don't come
back.

But I am a hard ass.

And others seem to think there are better ways to respond.