[Edu-sig] Python for CS101

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Mon May 9 00:02:14 CEST 2005

Arthur wrote:
> John writes -
>

>>Of course implementing something like a queue which has state
>>(side-effects) is not pure functional programming, but real LISP
>>programmers don't worry too much about that.
>

> John sounds like a real LISP programmer (he's being hiding that from us
> until now ;) - and I am interpreting him to be confirming the point Peter
> Seibel is making in the book I referenced, i.e. that many folks know of LISP
> via Scheme and therefore tend to understand LISP to be more purist
> functional than it is in practice.

OK, OK, I'm somewhat busted. My background in AI has caused me to become
better in LISP than your average bear, but I would never claim to be a
"real LISP programmer." The absolute truth of the matter is that I once
_was_ a real Prolog programmer. If you really want to expand your
horizons, you can't beat Prolog. It's as close as we've gotten to God's
own language.

> My impetus in approaching LISP would be to become a better Python programmer
> (presuming that it is awfully late in the game to try to become anything of
> a LISP programmer), and that does have something to do, in my mind, with
> more exposure to functional programming.  But concluded that Scheme sounded
> a bit austere on this account, and taking Seibel at his word, I would be
> hoping to get, through LISP, to functional thinking within a multi-paradigm
> context - which should be easier to translate into Pythonic thinking .

I happen to think that LISP and Python are very similar languages.
Python's syntax is easier to read, and LISP's is better/easier for
meta-programming. The underlying model is very much the same.

--John

--
John M. Zelle, Ph.D.             Wartburg College
Professor of Computer Science    Waverly, IA