[Edu-sig] Python for CS101

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu May 5 19:28:42 CEST 2005

I think you are missing some of what I think is my point.

Not whether .Net/Mono is of itself closed or open.

But that its design is as it is on the assumption it is dealing with closed
source.

It would be designed otherwise - presumably - if it could assume otherwise.

And the reality (I am talking from informed common sense, not technical
depth) is that if a programming language needs to be designed from the
ground up on the assumption that its source is securely closable, there are
options that are unavailable to it that might otherwise have perfect and
substantial merit.

Let's hypothecate that C# might look a lot more like Python had it not had
that particular design requirement.

Does that leave us - in your opinion - anywhere in particular.

To me - as to which is more suitable for academic purposes - it does. And I
guess I then generalize a bit from there.