[Edu-sig] RE: Integration correction

Lloyd Hugh Allen chandrakirti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:27:22 CEST 2005

If I can toss in one (okay, two) more thought/s (and then I'll go back
to llurking again), I particularly remember a java exercise in which
the instructor gave us a handful of (intentionally!) black-box
functions along with the arguments that they take and the outputs that
they gave. We were to string these functions together into a working
pong program. We were able to do this (in java! after two
weeks!--could do it in Python on the second day then) fairly
successfully, and so we were happy because we made a working program
without knowing much.

In the same way, I often use the random library, but haven't even
vaguely considered looking at its inner mechanics (although my
students claim, when I use a short routine to pick who goes to the
board, that they feel that it favors particular spots in the list of
students...I think that that's just their paranoia speaking, but I
probably should examine the code at some point anyway). For me to
understand each library...for that matter, have you ever made the
mistake of hitting "step" from the IDLE debugger on a print line?
There's already hella stuff under the hood.

Finally, I'll invoke the mantra (again from math education) that all
math (/coding) is either trivial or impossible. Problems (or ideas or
structures) begin as impossible; then, once comprehension is attained,
they are trivial. If it makes you feel better, Art, I blinked and so
don't know what this decorator thing is of which you speak (maybe it
was in one of those annoyingly long threads that I archived without
reading). Don't worry--I'll look up decorators myself--but that you
know what a decorator is puts you on a higher level of comprehension
than at least one person.

But again, the beauty of oop is that you don't need to look under the
hood until you actually want to. But that the ability is
(theoretically) there once you do have the desire.

I fear that I may be contributing to one of those annoyingly long
threads that I archive without reading. Oops. Sorry.

/out