[Edu-sig] RE: Integration correction

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Mar 30 14:15:58 CEST 2005

> From: Kirby Urner [mailto:urnerk at qwest.net]

> Now, if g(x) really *did* go on for 30-40 lines, OK, then maybe a
> decorator
> adds to readability.
>
> Something to think about.

From

http://www.corante.com/many/archives/2005/03/09/one_world_two_maps_thoughts_
on_the_wikipedia_debate.php

"""
When thinking about technological change, there are two kinds of people, or
rather, people with two kinds of maps of the world - radial, and Cartesian.
"""

My map is radial:

"""
Radial people want to know, of any change, how big a change is it from
current practice, in what direction, and at what cost.
"""

I think the introduction of decorators appeal more to the Cartesians:

"""
Cartesian people want to know, for any change, where you end up, and what
the characteristics of the new landscape are. They are less interested in
the cost of getting there.
"""

Guido's recent weblog presents a multimethod decorator.  I am fully capable
to using it, and fully incapable of understanding exactly how it works.

My fear is the evolution of libraries of little black boxes which will
indeed change the landscape of Python dramatically - for better and for
worse.

What I can't and don't understand - as a 'radial" - was why those who
purport to most appreciate Python as it is would sign in mass unto an
endeavor which could foreseeable alter what it is and how it is used in
dramatic ways, and do so irretrievably.

Ah well..