[Edu-sig] Best approach to teaching OOP and graphics

Linda Grandell lgrandel at abo.fi
Wed Mar 23 13:31:04 CET 2005

> In my book, OOP and graphical programming *are* two different things.

I totally agree on this. What I, however, do see as a potential risk
here is that the division might lead to students thinking thoughts such as

"So now we quit the OOP part and continue with graphics. OK, so no we
don't have to worry about those things anymore"

Although thoughts like these would be rare, I still feel I need to
consider them when deciding on what approach to take in the course. In
my experience, stronger students have no problem in seeing the
orthogonality of things introduced, whereas the weaker students might
find it difficult to even understand that one can use the fundamental
structures just about anywhere (e.g. nesting for-loops), as long as the
logic holds and the syntax rules are followed. Students like these might
get ideas as the one above.

Anyway, whatever approach I choose, I am planning on starting with a
brief repetition of the basics before rather quickly moving on to OOP.
In my opinion, the way you Kirby go about objects is just about perfect,
and I am planning on following the same idea.

If we were to use the pygsear module together with PyGame, we could go
graphical from the very first class. If we, on the other hand, were to
use e.g. Zelle's graphics.py (thanks for reminding me about that one,
had somehow managed to forget it) I would probably introduce OOP first
and then continue with graphics. But then again, there is nothing
stopping me from introducing the graphics in the middle of OOP either...

Gosh, I just realized that I have a lot of pondering to do over the
Easter holiday :)

/Linda