[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 26

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Jun 27 17:20:45 CEST 2005

Kirby writes -

>You've taken aim at bloated, graphics-intensive environments (like Alice)
>that insulate students from learning any real programming, giving them
>instead some dumbed down command set and a lot of gee whiz razzle-dazzle.
>No real maturity develops.

Yes and no, in terms of what motivates my hysterias.

My objection to projects like Alice is nothing more specific, really, than
my subjective sense of where it is coming from, what motivates it, and its
level of sincerity and integrity.

It is difficult both to defend such subjective assessments, and to back away
from them.

When the stakes are as I imagine them to be - that is. There are plenty of
areas in which I am willing to be kind. Or at least silent.  This area  -
education, technology, and children - ain't one of them.