[Edu-sig] SOT: authoring course material

Peter Bowyer peter at mapledesign.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 11:57:41 CEST 2005

Hi,

As I sit down to write my course material I was wondering - what software
do you use?  Traditionally material in the physics department has always
been written in LaTeX (uugh), with a printed copy given to the student, and
a PDF of the printed copy available online.

I need to produce a printable set of notes, but would also like to do a
true web-based version.  We've talked about testing the students with
online multiple-choice quizzes and I'm keen to have expandable sections of
the notes online (so the more advanced students don't have to read the
basics, but can see advanced questions the others cannot).  However, from
past experience if there are not full printed notes there will be
complaints, and as the computers aren't dual-monitor it would be hard to
read online notes while working.

What have you found works when teaching introductory programming?

Also, have you found tools such as wikis useful when either developing the
teaching material or writing the following report?

Thanks,
Peter