[Edu-sig] re: Naming in Python

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Jan 29 16:25:29 CET 2005

> I'll sink to commenting on my own post. Not the first time.
>
> Sobering up - I still think the observation has real substance.
>
> Though it is only an insight to the extent that it is non-obvious.  I
> guess
> that depends on who you are and where you are coming from.
>
> It took me a while to get here.
>
> Art

Guido once scolded me by suggesting I set up a blog rather than "bothering"
people on public forums. I have concluded that Guido is never *completely*
wrong,,,;)

It seems to me that the reason that decorators are/were so controversial -
why so  many people find them unPythonic - is that they violate the
principle I am trying to get my hands on here.

As it happens, given that decorators were to be, I supported Guido's choice
of syntax - feeling it effectively communicated that we were dealing with
the exception to the rule. I don't know the extent to which Guido's decision
there was intuitive, or if consciously anywhere along the lines that I am
suggesting.