[Edu-sig] Naming in Python

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Jan 28 04:25:51 CET 2005

Any opinions as to whether the following is an insight, or the kind of
pseudo-incite I tend to realize I have had when I sober up in the morning?

That the "readability" of Python is built-in to the structure of the
language in a largely non-obvious way, and has little to do with white space
significance, surface level syntax, etc.

Python is a "naming" language.  The interpreter is working with assigned
names of objects more directly and more significantly than in other
languages (of which I am aware). As a programmer, one is conversing with the
interpreter by way of these names, as names and objects are closely bound.
And it therefore seems intuitively sensible to make names significant,
because in fact they are significant at a low and technical level.

As opposed to C, for example. Which sort of laughs of you for going to the
trouble for adding extra keystrokes to placeholders.

Or something along these lines.