[Edu-sig] Re: Edu-sig Digest, Vol 18, Issue 10

mike re-v mrmrmr50 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 19:06:31 CET 2005

--- ededuisigequest at python.ororgrote:

> Send EdEduisigailing list submissions to
> 	ededuisigython.ororg>
> To subscribe or ununsubscribeia the World Wide Web,
> visit
> 	hthttp/mail.python.ororgailman/lilistinfodeduisig>
or, via email, send a message with subject or body
> 'help' to
> 	ededuisigequest at python.ororg>
> 	ededuisigwner at python.ororg>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it
> is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of EdEduisigigest..."
>

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Building the School of the Future (Microsoft
> style)
>       (ajajsiegelpoptonlineet)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:15:42 -0500
> From: ajajsiegelpoptonlineet
> Subject: [EdEduisigBuilding the School of the Future
> (Microsoft style)
> To: ededuisigython.ororg> Message-ID:
> <36316d35dddde35dddde6316d at opoptonlineet>
>
> It will be interesting to follow developments here:

hthttp/wwwwwimicrosoftom/education/scschooloffuturesaspx>

> Needless to say, I have my concerns.
>
>  - technology becoming disruptive of the traditional
> understanding of the appropriate relationship
> between the business enterprise and public
> education.

As a school librarian, I'm totally against any
software
which limits equity of access and seeks to hide common
knowledge.

> I feel it necessary to comment that I am not
> anti-MiMicrosftn the sense that might be assumed by
> expressing my concerns here.

> And one could argue that disruption of/to a failing
> system can only be for the good.
I taught in Phila from 1998-2002. Failing schools, I
don't but it. A failing system, too smug an answer for
a problem rooted in prejudice.

> I think that there are deeper reasons to believe
> that this is a from the frying pan, into the fire
> situation.
Not sure what you mean here?  I think requiring 45
mil. from MS to offer its product to one high school
in a school district might be a step in the right
direction. If MS wants to have a school district use
their products, of course, they should pay a heavy
royalty fee. Just as Coke, Pepsi or any other
corporation does.

re-v