[Edu-sig] Re: (financial calculation) - using units

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Feb 16 03:11:03 CET 2005

Christian writes -

> > def future_value(iday,cday,ivalue,cvalue,years):
> >    days_invested=(cday-iday).days
> >    year_periods=365/days_invested
>
> Bothered me (too), the year_periods should be of a time-dimension.
>
> 	duration_in_years=days/365

I would at least argue that there is method to my madness.  Financial
thinking as to rates of return, and comparison between returns, generally
puts things on an annualized basis.  I am thinking (and coding)  in
terms of an annualized return, and then dealing with it thusly.

Domain appropriate thinking, think I.

Of course lots in nature grows at compounded growth rates -
it's just thought about a bit differently.

And in nature as in finance limiting factors tend to intervene.

Trees don't grow 4.5 billion feet high.

Normally ;)