[Edu-sig] Python Programming: Procedural Online Test

damon bryant damonbryant at msn.com
Tue Dec 6 12:40:25 CET 2005

Thanks, Wesley!

If the item bank were larger, you would not have received easier questions
at the end. You would have gotten more difficult questions. The bank for the
demo is quite small, so you exhausted all of the difficult ones first
because your ability initially mapped on to the difficult portion of the
scale. The algorithm is quite efficient in determining where you are on the
scale after about 3 - 5 questions.  In a test with a larger bank, you would
have received more difficult questions as long as you kept getting them
right. The test would finally terminate after 20 questions being
administered. The alpha of the test, a psychometric term for reliability, is
estimated to be .92 or higher with this number of items in a well designed
computer adaptive test.

I have corrected the issue with the use of 'sum' (now ‘sum1’) and the syntax
error with 'True:' (now ‘True’); that was a good catch! On a different note,
I thought by designing this trial version of the system in Python, there
would be an increase in the time in serving the questions to the client. I
guess that using numarray and multithreading to do the heavy lifting on the
back end has made it ‘fast enough’ for operational use. What do you think?