[Edu-sig] Python Programming: Procedural Online Test

Scott Durkin sdurkin at psdschools.org
Tue Dec 6 03:04:16 CET 2005

Could it be argued that the goal be for all students to score 100% on the
desired content?

Rodrigo Senra said:

> On 5Dec 2005, at 7:50 AM, damon bryant wrote:
>
>> One of the main reasons I decided to use an Item Response Theory (IRT)
>> framework was that the testing platform, once fully operational,
>> will not
>> give students questions that are either too easy or too difficult
>> for them,
>> thus reducing anxiety and boredom for low and high ability students,
>> respectively. In other words, high ability students will be
>> challenged with
>> more difficult questions and low ability students will receive
>> questions
>> that are challenging but matched to their ability.
>
> So far so good...
>
>> Each score is on the same scale, although some students will not
>> receive the same questions. This is the beautiful thing!
>
> I'd like to respectfully disagree. I'm afraid that would cause more
> harm than good.
> One side of student evaluation is to give feedback *for* the
> students. That is a
> relative measure, his/her performance against his/her peers.
>
> If I understood correctly the proposal is to give a "hard"-A for some
> and an "easy"-A
> for others, so everybody have A's (A=='good score'). Is that it ?
> That sounds like
> sweeping the dirt under the carpet. Students will know. We have to
> prepare them to
> tackle failure as well as success.
>
> I do not mean such efforts are not worthy, quite the reverse. But I
> strongly disagree
> with an adaptive scale. There should be a single scale fro the whole
> spectre of tests.
> If some students excel their results must show this, as well as if
> some students perform
> poorly that should not be hidden from them. Give them a goal and the
> means to pursue
> their goal.
>
> If I got your proposal all wrong, I apologize ;o)
>
> best regards,
> Senra
>

> Rodrigo Senra

               S  c  o  t  t     J.    D  u  r  k  i  n

             Computer Science  ||||  Preston Junior High

sdurkin at psdschools.org  ||||  http://staffweb.psdschools.org/sdurkin
    ___   _      ___   _      ___   _      ___   _      ___   _
   [(_)] |=|    [(_)] |=|    [(_)] |=|    [(_)] |=|    [(_)] |=|
   /mmm/  /     /mmm/  /     /mmm/  /     /mmm/  /     /mmm/  /
                        /mmm/        /mmm/        /mmm/

                   970.419.7358  ||||  2005-2006

scott.james.durkin