[Edu-sig] Design Patterns

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Aug 25 17:00:49 CEST 2005

> So I don't feel as off topic or off base as perhaps I should.
>
> Apologies.
>
> Art

I don't feel you've been off topic or off base at all in this thread (nor
really that much in general).  The considerations you have about properties
were worth raising.

My point is I don't think your contribution was dismissed.  On the contrary,
use cases were presented, e.g. a Triangle with an attributes-only API.

You've said since that you'd prefer a subtle namespace in which callables
denote "on the fly" computing, whereas non-callables suggest more static or
basic attributes of Triangles.  That's all fine and good, but notice we're
not dismissing your proposal by calling it naïve, let alone off topic.

No, in my case, I've given thought to your preferences, as I would to those
of a peer professional, and then thought "but I like properties and will
continue using them, plus encourage my students to consider using them in
their own code."  That's where I came out.  Different place.  And so it is
among professional programmers.

It's clear to me that you and I have very different world views.  That makes
our discussions more interesting.  I *enjoy* your exotic other-worldliness.
Makes mine more palatable as well.  :-D