[Edu-sig] Design patterns

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sun Aug 21 22:41:43 CEST 2005

> Why do I find this unsatisfying?

I think part of the picture is you're coding for yourself i.e. your APIs are
used internally by your own code.  Refactoring *everything* is always a
possibility.

Suppose you'd already published a Triangle class API and then discovered you
needed more dynamism.  The property feature lets you sneak in some methods
without changing the already-published API and breaking client code.

A lot of these lessons about robust software development come from group or
community efforts.  Some aspects of Python maybe don't much excite you
because you're primarily a solo coder (as am I much of the time).