[Edu-sig] Postmortem of my OSCON talk

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Aug 5 13:12:55 CEST 2005

> From: Kirby Urner [mailto:urnerk at qwest.net]

> But I think for other reasons (other than the fact this was OSCON) that
> the
> open source attribute *is* higher than 8 on the list.  Because for kids,
> affordability is a big variable in the equation, and translates to access.
> Waiting for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to bring Windows within
> reach may just not be good enough -- the wait is too long.

Again - major disconnect.  Worrying about affordability implies we have
already concluded that access to this stuff - in providing good education -
matters much.

Gates, the Open Source movement, politicians of various stripes are fighting
over credit for providing this access, massively.

All hands on deck for a massive redirection of resources (not necessarily
$), focus, and energy.

But I keep thinking we missed a step. Understanding why it matters, and what
of importance we are going to accomplish (and sacrifice) by wiring up to
every school desk.

Are you concerned about the potential for centralization and
bureaucratization and dehumanization of our schools and education as a
likely outcome of this process.

Why the hell not?

Why the hell not?