[Edu-sig] Postmortem of my OSCON talk

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Aug 4 04:45:17 CEST 2005

Kirby wrote -

> At one point in my talk, I predicted we'd soon have open source
> repositories of downloadable audio/video clips, which kids'd pull down to
> their computer desktops, mix with new content, and reupload back to the
> servers (the same process used with software today, but applied to making
> video). Schools like ours could harness this economy to foment the
> production of more relevant educational materials.

Having proved (to myself) I could shut up here for a month - I will comment.
Predictably -  I am afraid

Open source versus closed source seems to me somewhere around number 8 on
the list of issues in respect to assessing worthwhile technologically
derived/connected "educational materials", versus worthless such materials,
versus actively destructive such materials.

Where might a self-proclaimed intelligent person go to discuss with other
such persons  1 through 7, without the diversion of 8?

Is there an 8 don't make it right crowd to plug into?