[Edu-sig] Python for CS101

Dan Crosta dcrosta at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Apr 30 21:46:00 CEST 2005

First of all, I'm glad to see that some places are beginning to pick up
Python as an introductory language, Doug. Here at Swarthmore, as you may
know, the department just revamped the intro course layout to teach Java
from the get-go, which I tried as much as an undergrad could, to prevent
for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I find its syntax too too
picky, particularly with the advent of generics. But that's water under
the bridge, I guess.

As a second note, I don't consider Python a language suitable only for
lower-level classes. I am currently writing a ray-tracer for my Advanced
Graphics seminar completely in Python, and I've found that development
goes a whole hell of a lot quicker than in C++, which my partner and I
wrote our modeling/rendering enginge in last semester. I'm also working
on a few personal projects (a replacement for pine/mutt in the style of
gmail, among others) in Python.

In fact, the only areas I think Python is *not* suitable are low-level
architecture-dependent programming. Our architecture class does
CPU/memory stress testing using C, and our operating systems classes
should also probably use it. I guess I feel that only in places where
the architecture *is* the point of the project should a low-level
language be used; in all other situations, the goal of the class ought
to be to study the algorithms and focus on goals, instead of nitpicky
details.

I guess that didn't directly address any of your questions -- just my
thoughts on the matter.

dsc