[Edu-sig] Re: CP4E

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 00:00:03 CEST 2005

>This is very much about empowerment (to use a buzz word).  The computer,
>especially connected to the internet, is the paradigm power tool of our
>age.
>The sin would be to bring up a generation of passive consumers who complain
>and whine because "it won't do what I want."

I guess there will be people who see computers as just really
nice TVs / Stereos / Typewriters -- lots and lots of channels /
songs / spellchecking. I just can't stomach the fact that
we seem to be teaching just that.

Maybe there simply are not yet many people in the teaching
profession who really understand the power of this tool. The
ones who understand are young enough to still be using their
skills in other careers.

Perhaps in the next few years retiring hackers will start
finding 2nd careers as teachers.