[Edu-sig] RE: "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Oct 23 23:46:49 CEST 2004

Rick -

> Hey Art,
>
> I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit here.

Thanks for thinking so. I like to throw false modesty into the mix from time
to time. Just to offer relief from consecutive posts of  audacious
arrogance.

> If you are like
> others I know, they revert back to Classic Windows solely because it is
> the better interface for them.  They have no use for "pretty" cruft which
> only hides information they used to get.  Filenames and large icons
> displayed for each file is not a compact information design.  Classic
> windows with the details view (size, date, time, etc.) is usually what you
> need to see most of the time; not anything less.

Certainly true that if I suspected the possibility that I was actually
losing information by killing the silly icons from appearing all over the
place, I not kill the silly icons.

And when they take away the toggle, and clicking on the silly icons is the
only way to get at the content, I will succumb to clicking on the silly
icons and some interface designer will have the world clicking on his silly
icons and congratulating himself about the design brilliance.

What turned me onto to computers was the content of the early Web. Getting
at it meant navigating by way of the Unix shell.  I most certainly had a
learning curve.  Which I undertook contently to get at the gold.  The gold's
the thing, IMO.