[Edu-sig] RE: "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sat Oct 23 09:02:32 CEST 2004

> If I can't use it to place him on the side of the devil, can I at least
> use it to question the quality, or consistency, of his judgment.

I think you should be allowed to do this -- but I'm not in any rush to
judgment to agree with you.

For all I know, Disney is to be commended for trying to jump start something
where few companies dare.  They bit of more than they could chew with
Squeak.

I expect the marketing possibilities of linking something called Squeak to a
company with a mouse for a logo was not lost on them.

Disney's own visions were grandiose, but look how little of it remains
today.  EPCOT, his Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, has been
demoted to Epcot, a word with no meaning, by the lawyers at headquarters.

OK, so that's damning.  But on the other hand, who said lawyers were
supposed to be creative software engineers or artists?  Not their job.

So... maybe Alan Kay tried to rescue some of the grandness of the Walt
Disney vision from the ashes.  And failed.  But a hero for trying.  Why not
spin it that way instead?