[Edu-sig] Teaching Python to Programmers

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Sun Nov 21 00:23:12 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Kent Johnson wrote:

> I am almost done with my Python for beginners course - more about that
> when it is over. Next term I'm going to try teaching Python to
> programmers, just for variety. So, a few questions...
>
> What should I use for a textbook? Learning Python is an obvious choice.
> I didn't really like Dive into Python so I don't think I will use that.
> Does anyone recommend Practical Python? I haven't read it and I'm
> wondering if I should get a copy.
>
> Here is a blurb for the course catalog. I would be happy for suggested
> improvements from better writers than I :-)

You want to mention that it is good on all platforms.  It's a flexible
language, perfect for object-oriented programming, scripting, and
rapid prototyping.

You can throw in some buzzwords, saying it's a good language for web
development, GUI, imaging, database, security, networking, ...  just
copy some of the module names.

I'm teaching Python to programmers for the second time.  I started out
using "Python -- How to Program" by Deitel, but it was before the new
"Learning Python" came out.  I do like the order of things better in
the Deitel book, and that it covers some applications: CGI, GUI,
... in depth.  But it is really a basic programming book, teaching
software engineering concepts too.  I ended up teaching from both
books and recommending, but not requiring, both.  I often suggest
reading from the online sources, not only because they are good, but
also to get the students familiar with the treasury of online help.

Good luck!

Marilyn Davis