[Edu-sig] Introductory high school programming class - Python orTeachScheme

Jordan Johnson jorjohns at cs.indiana.edu
Thu May 6 13:14:09 EDT 2004

On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 06:24  AM, Liow, Dr. Yihsiang wrote:
> Scheme is a great language but it is more “academic” than Python and
> does not seem to have as strong a pull as Python in the industry. So
> Python will definitely catch more attention. For instance compare the
> two:
>
> CS101. Do you want to learn a programming language, Scheme, taught at
> MIT? …
>
> CS101. Do you want to learn a programming language, Python, used by
> Google and Yahoo! and Industrial Light & Magic and NASA? …

This isn't a fair comparison; in addition to the page you link in your
message, Scheme is being and/or has been used at Microsoft and Disney,
among others.  See also the second question on:
	http://www.teach-scheme.org/Notes/scheme-faq.html

Obviously, though, the Scheme community hasn't been as successful at
making the public aware of such uses, but the two languages are both
used for "real work," for those who ask.

The more important question, IMO, is how to use either language to get
the major non-language-specific concepts across.

jmj

: Jordan Johnson - jorjohns @ cs . indiana . edu
: If I were a bug, I would want to be a true Renaissance bug.