[Edu-sig] Network-safe Python Install for school use?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Mar 19 17:24:15 EST 2004

I don't have any answers but you sure have my sympathy.

I proposed to teach Python in a local adult-ed course in the high school computer lab. The sys admin basically freaked out, said NO, then avoided me. He wouldn't answer my phone messages or emails; the only way I was able to have a conversation with him at all was by camping out at his office waiting for him to show up.

And this is in a school that already teaches Java and C++ programming!

As far as I can figure it out, his thinking was something like this (I'm not kidding...)

Python is open source
Linux is open source
Linux is an operating system
Therefore Python is an operating system.
Some guy wants to replace the operating system on all my computers so he can teach his course.
No way!!

Oh, I didn't help any by mentioning that I use a Dvorak keyboard layout and asking if that was OK...his conclusion was that I wanted to replace all the PHYSICAL keyboards with something else!!!

I'm not kidding, this really happened to me!

I finally gave up, I'm working with a different school district to offer the course there.

Good luck!
Kent