[Edu-sig] HS Example problems

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:45:51 EST 2004

Mike,

mhanna at pvcsd.org wrote:

>Hello all,
>I am new to the list and Python in general. I want to start using Python in my
>Into to CS Class in High School. I have previewed a number of books but am
>having difficulties finding a decent source for:
>1) a detailed curriculum (basic class for 100% new programming students)
>2) Good examples and problems for projects

If you've not already checked it out, my CS1 textbook might be
appropriate for you. See http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python if you're
interested.

>On another note:
>I am using OSX 10.2 and am having problem setting up the computers to run a
>decent IDE. I have tried MacPython and Pyoxide. Any help would be deeply
>appreciated.

We use IDLE for our intro classes, and it works well. Unfortunately IDLE
uses the Tkinter package, which is not included in the default OSX
python. I have a colleague who is using IDLE and Python on his Mac by
running XDarwin and the Python available from the fink project
(http://fink.sourceforge.net). It works great for him, but I can't vouch
for how it would work in a lab setting.

I believe it is also possible to do a native install of Python and
tcl/tk from source under OSX, but I have not had a chance to try that
out yet.

--John