[Edu-sig] re spam on edu-sig

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sun Jan 18 19:14:40 EST 2004

Here's an email I got in response to my question about spam on python.org
mail lists.  There are steps we might take.

 > this is par for the course.

In my experience, yes, it is.  We were starting to get more noise than
signal in the docutils-*@lists.sourceforge.net lists (also
MailMan-powered).

 > I don't think we're limiting posts to members only.  Is this also
 > the usual thing?

I think most spam-filled lists are the same.  I recently switched the
lists to member-posting-only and the spam problem went away.  In
exchange, I now have a bit more work to do; I have to approve
legitimate non-member posts and deny spam.  However, it gets easier
over time; details below.

 > I'm not the listowner for edu-sig (I just maintain the web page),
 > but I am curious nevertheless.

It's easy to share the load.  Get the list owner to share the list
admin password with you.  On the MailMan administration interface
"General Options" page, add your email address on a new line to the
"list admin's email address" field.  On the "Privacy Options" page,
under "General posting filters", set member_posting_only to Yes.

Whenever a non-member post comes in, you'll be notified by email.  For
obvious spam, I just let the notifications pile up, and handle them in
batch mode.  Whenever there's a legitimate post, I copy the poster's
email address, allow the message and paste the poster's email address
into the "Addresses of members accepted for posting to this list
without implicit approval requirement" field (below
member_posting_only on the "Privacy Options" page).  If you get
multiple posts from non-members, you'll only have to do this once per
address.

The downside to this approach is that it's more work for the list
admins.  But I was getting annoying auto-replies from spam filters on
far-flung mail servers, saying "you sent us spam", and I determined
that the extra effort was worth it to remove the primary and secondary
spam.

I was reluctant to switch to member-posting-only because it's not
obvious from the MailMan interface that non-member posts are *not*
discarded automatically, but are in fact put in a queue for approval.
Had I known that, I would have switched over much sooner.

--
David Goodger                               http://python.net/~goodger
For hire: http://python.net/~goodger/cv