[Edu-sig] Learning Python for the absolute beginner

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Mon Jan 12 21:04:07 EST 2004

I recently received a copy of Michael Dawson's Python Programming for
the absolute beginner, and the second edition of Learning Python by
Lutz and Ascher. I am evaluating both of them for use in an adult
education class for absolute beginners, and I thought I would post my
opinions, both for your amusement and so you can tell me how I am
wrong :-).

I like Learning Python a lot but for all the wrong reasons. It
appeals to the geek in me. It explains with exhaustive detail all the
ins and outs and traps and wrinkles to all the basics of Python. For
example, the book spends 25 pages (!) explaining different ways to
run Python programs (IDLE, command line, double-clicking...) This
book tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I learned Python from the first edition of the book and I remember it
being a bit overwhelming. I had many years of programming experience
and several languages under my belt at the time. It's hard to imagine
someone who is not familiar with some kind of programming - or at
least a fairly sophisticated computer user - enjoying this book.

On the other hand Dawson's book is deceptively simple. At first I was
constantly editorializing about what he was leaving out, how I would
have written that bit of code, etc.

The programming examples are all games. The first few programs are
very basic. They are not much as entertainment but they demonstrate
print and quoted strings and variables. He presents material in very
small bites, but there is plenty of meat and he includes enough
detail to keep going and avoid the major pitfalls.

Each new idea is introduced in the context of a working program. The
programs become increasingly complex, ranging from a simple
guess-the-number game to tic-tac-toe to an arcade game.

Along the way there are snippets of good programming practice
interjected, like how to write good variable names and why globals
are best avoided. Like the coding itself, these tips are simple but
should help a beginner get off on the right foot when writing his own
programs.

So, for another programmer who wants to learn Python, I would
recommend Learning Python. But for a rank beginner I think Python
Programming for the absolute beginner is a better choice.

Best regards,
Kent
--
Kent S Johnson