[Edu-sig] Confusion with slice notation

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Mon Jan 5 13:14:29 EST 2004

Trent A. Oliphant wrote:
 > Here is where I get caught each time with list notation.
 >
 > (I realized as I was writing this it isn't the slice notation but the
 > notation that gets me)

I don't think it is the slice or the index notation that confuses many,
but the fact that the negative numbers are distances to a line outside
the array, and positive numbers are distances to the first element in
the array. Or, negative numbers are distances, and positive numbers are
positions.

Here is your example again, in a slightly different form. First column,
positions from the start. Second column is distances from the end. Then
the values from the x and y arrays:

      x y
------------- end/top
8 -1 9 1
7 -2 8 2
6 -3 7 3
5 -4 6 4
4 -5 5 5
3 -6 4 6
2 -7 3 7
1 -8 2 8
0 -9 1 9 ---- start/bottom

Why did they do it this way? Why not in a more symmetric way?

If they made it so that they were both zero-based, then x[-0] would be
the last element. But -0 == 0, so that doesn't work.

If they made it so that they were both one-based, then lots of old C
coders would have off-by-one errors :) Seriously though, if you think of
the positive number as being a distance from the start of the array,
then you can just take the address of the array and add the position to
it (times the size of an element), and that will give you the address of
that element. That explanation seems outdated, though.

But that is why they are asymmetric.

-Doug