[Edu-sig] Knowledge Technology Toolkit

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun Jan 4 12:59:34 EST 2004

In a message of Sun, 04 Jan 2004 10:36:55 EST, "portal" writes:
<snip>
>We are looking for a good solution that allows kids to control computers so
>that we, the educators and the students, can talk about what is not talked
>about - and these are cultural and social issues related to informationial
>Base (Orb) technology within a MUD (multiple user domain) and target chat
>and e-forums with externally generated subject matter taxonomy so that kids
>and educators can see what is the thematic structure of social discourse.
>
>http://www.bcngroup.org/area2/KnowledgeEcologies.htm

You will probably get further if you use less jargon, especially
among people who already think that MUDs are Multi-User dungeons and
ORBs are Object Request Brokers.   If I understand you, I think that
you are mistaken in believing that more technology will get you
anywhere in your struggle to inform people of the thematic structure
of social discourse.  For that you need courses in media manipulation,
and the like.  I suppose you already know about http://www.media-awareness.ca/
Canadians have been studying this and teaching it in their high schools
for years ....

Laura Creighton