[Edu-sig] re: Python "3" and National Project to establish the Knowledge Sciences as an Academic Discipline

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Jan 3 21:07:39 EST 2004

Dr. Prueitt writes:

>I have joined the e-forum at:

Welcome.

If I understand correctly, this is related to Mike McLay's initiated funding
agenda. Mike is a long-time member of the community, and I am sure there is
general support in the community for his efforts.

I am the resident edu-sig pain-in the-ass.

>http://www.ontologystream.com/prueitt/home.htm

>Professional Experience

>Dr. Prueitt has worked on retrieval technology, data modeling and database
>interface design and coding using Oracle, SQL Server, Access, FoxPro, VB,
>Objective C, C, C# and C++. He has designed, prototyped and implemented
>scaleable commercial software systems targeted at integrating retrieval
>technologies, transaction analysis, data mining and text/image
>technologies.

Python?

Do you understand the structure of the community?

Do you understand Python?

If I am not mistaken, Mike had to explain to your group who this guy Tim
Peters is, a few weeks ago. And of course you understand that Python3 can
only be in Guido's (firm, to say the least) hands.

At:

http://www.bcngroup.org/area2/KSF/nationalProject.htm

You discuss a National Movement, without making bones about the fact that it
is at least in some sense a political movement.

Can you help me digest what you are trying to achieve, and why Python is in
the middle of it all, and on what basis you are purporting to talk about
Python3 as a project with which you and your colleagues are to be in some
crucial role?

If I sound suspicious, it is because I am.  I have visited

http://www.bcngroup.org/python3/home.htm

And besides having no idea why I am going to www.bcngroup.org to read about
Python3, I cannot make much sense out of much of it.  I am not a stupid or
uneducated man, I don't think. But there seems to be a private language
being spoken. Is the National Movement that we all learn to speak this
language?

All that being said, I am willing to learn, be educated, and back off.

And frankly, the fact that you have joined the list here, and therefore seem
willing to subject yourself to the above toned crap that one needs to expect
if operating in an open community (Guido has put up with much), is an
appreciated first step to helping at least me come to terms a bit.