[Edu-sig] Literacy folks can get it! WAS "promoting computer literacy through programming python"

BJ MacNevin brian at macnevin.net
Fri Jan 2 08:41:04 EST 2004

John,

Thanks so much for letting us see and read your dissertation! I read through
the beginning sections so far and at every point I was thinking: YES! This
is ammunition that I need for explaining to my district why computer
programming is important!

I teach at a middle-school in a VERY literacy-based district. When I brought
up that I wanted to teach some programming, the head of our IT dept.
replied: well he can come up with a proposal, but really it's a shame he
doesn't just use what we already have available on the network. What that
meant is that she wanted me to teach kids more Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.
So if my IT head is clueless, then you can imagine my entire district!

What I love so far about your dissertaion is that you have captured the
process of computer programming and have described it in terms of relevance
and using vocabulary that these literacy-focussed people will be able to
understand and categorize. I realize that they are clueless about why
programming is key to true computer literacy and your work gives me the
words and vocabulary to help them understand what I mean.

Thanks again!

BJ MacNevin