[Edu-sig] re: None potato, one potato, two potato, more..

Jason Cunliffe jason.cunliffe at verizon.net
Thu Jan 1 18:19:39 EST 2004

> So we can focus on the point at hand let's (and I will never argue with it
> as toggle option):

Hi Art,

No argument with your example, but it misses completely the [fresh] point at
hand I was hoping to discuss. Not where the burden lies, but rather the
implications and influence of computational literacy upon everyday language
and culture.

No blame to programmers or language developers intended. We've been over
that ground too many times already I think.

But from a media-culture/language perspective, yes programming expects
learned behaviors which could be construed as [almost] in denial of
contemporary speech and use of language. The bait in my post was use of the
word 'human'. Python of course is as 100% a human language as much as
English is.

But since we all learn to speak [and count] before we can program, there are
implicit precedents set there/then. These lead to the some of the
'counter-intuitive allegations about programming.

The axis of  happy new year  question is what happens if/when /programming
is learned early enough that it is a fundamental part of literacy and
language.
How might everyday language be changed?
And reverse-engineering the thought, how differently might programming
languages be learnt, taught and improved...?

- Jason